It’s day 5 but for me, it’s actually day 6 on The Plan by Lyn-Genet Recitas. What happens is that we have a Superbowl party at work. They cater in BBQ which is a local fundraiser for the local BoyScouts (voted best BBQ in Charlotte by Creative Loafing!) and it’s a potluck. Well, I just CAN’T MISS THAT! I used my creative engineering mind and see that day 6 is testing protein so I conveniently deviate and swap the days.
The Plan even notes that’s most smoked meats like barbecue trigger inflammation (page 162) but life and the show must go on. Joe says I should just isolate and only test bbq but what fun is that? This event is bigger than Thanksgiving and people talk about the food all year at the office. I absolutely can’t be left out of office water cooler talk. That would be bad for my career.
However, if you’re looking for a blogger plan participant that’s 100% compliant, that isn’t me – haha! For that, you can read the food. This documents all of my experiences on the Plan and that includes deviations too.
- I eat a tremendous amount of food at the Super Bowl party. Although I feel stuffed, I don’t feel as bad as I usually do after eating an assortment of foods. I love trying a little bit of everything and that usually results in my feeling bad. I think the very low inflammatory diet these past few days has given my stomach a break so it can handle the occasional splurge. I think it also allows for faster recovery.
- The food still tastes amazing but it’s like a drug. The more bad food you eat, the more you want. This is especially true of the sweet and sugary stuff.
- At first, I’m so concerned about deviating from the Plan. The book reiterates that your happiness to continue living your life also contributes to weight and stress issues. I am ok with going off track a bit because it is occasional. I don’t agonize. I do it, and then move on.
Day Date Weight AM Change Temp AM Change Hours slept
1 Mon 01/29/18 120.6 96.3 6.0
2 Tues 01/30/18 120.0 -0.6 96.6 0.3 6.0
3 Wed 01/31/18 118.8 -1.2 96.2 -0.4 7.5
4 Thus 02/01/18 118.0 -0.8 96.5 0.3 6.5
5 Fri 02/02/18 117.8 -0.2 96 -0.5 7.0
- Flax granola with apples and coconut milk
Ok, so what didn’t I eat?
- Smoked barbecue with vinegar sauce
- Mashed potatoes
- Macaroni and cheese – 2 types
- Carrots and broccoli
- Potato salad
- Tomato avocado salad
- Cheese cubes
- Veggie chili
Snack – actually, this is my dessert plate
- 1/2 chocolate cupcake
- 1/2 amaretto cupcake
- Chocolate covered rice Krispy treat
- Chocolate chip cookie
- Thin Fried pastry thing
- Chicken with mango salsa
- mixed greens
- Roasted squash, kale, manchego salad
- Beet and carrot salad
- Red wine
- Dark chocolate
The food spread is bigger than Thanksgiving.
The dessert table is almost as much as the food table.
Plan friendly? Maybe not so much?
I’m a sugar junkie.
Back to Plan compliant dinner.